Search Hijackers replace your search preferences with unexpected search engines. This puts your privacy at risk, reduces your computer's performance, and degrades the quality of your search results.
How Search Hijackers Work
- Search-Stealing Browser Extensions - In some cases, your browser's new tab page will be replaced with an unwanted search engine. All searches done within your URL bar will be redirected through the unwanted search engine.
- External Malware - In other cases, malware that has been installed on your computer replaces your browser's default search preferences in a way that cannot be changed.
How to Recognize a Search Hijacker
Depending on what search hijacker has infected your computer, you may notice one or more of the following unintended events occur within your browser.
- Your searches lead to unexpected websites.
- The new tab page of your browser is replaced with an unfamiliar website.
- When you perform searches, you notice multiple redirects.
- You're unable to change the default search engine within your browser's settings.
How Guardio Helps with Search Hijackers
All search hijackers fall into one of two categories: extension-based and malware-based.
- Extension-Based Hijackers - Guardio disables browser extensions identified as search hijackers. This restores the original search settings.
- Malware-Based Hijackers - As a browser extension, Guardio cannot remove the root cause. Instead, it treats the symptoms by intercepting the redirect attempts, blocking the malicious server, and directing to the intended search engine or new tab page.
Need More Help?
If you're affected by a search hijacker and continue to see signs of hijacking after activating Guardio's premium protection, contact our support team for additional assistance.